Traditional remedies have always relied on the natural goodness of honey. The modern experts to recommend the use of this ‘liquid gold’ to treat complex skin problems, one of them being acne. So, you can now very well shun those over the counter expensive acne creams and instead use honey for acne.
Benefits of Honey for Acne
The secret behind the healing effects of honey lies in its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory property which has been proven in research studies. You can have a quick look at the healing properties of honey:
- It is loaded with several Phyto-nutrients and healthy enzymes, which act as a natural moisturizer.
- When directly applied over the acne affected skin, honey absorbs water and thus, stores an anti-bacterial product called hydrogen peroxide which controls the acne.This antiseptic action works very well to prevent infectious spread of acne.
- Since honey is highly viscous, it prevents further infection from entering the danger zones.
- The anti-oxidants present in honey are highly efficient in controlling the harm caused by free radicals.
- Rich in vitamins like B2, B6 and B12, honey can boost the healing properties of skin, much like the chemical based anti-acne creams. That’s the reason you will find honey as an active ingredient in many acne products too.
- The bacteria ‘propiobacterium acnes’ that is active in acne is killed by anti-bacterial agents in honey.
- The anti-inflammatory property of honey reduces the skin redness and itching caused by acne.
Honey Masks for Acne
Ideally, you can apply organic raw honey directly on the acne affected area. Take a few drops of honey on your fingertips (hands washed, of course) or a sterile cotton ball. Now, dab it over the acne affected skin and let it stay there for at least 25-30 minutes. Then gently rinse it off with warm water. Also rinse with cold water subsequently. Another effective way of using honey for acne directly is to apply it over the affected part before you retire to bed, and seal it with a bandage. Let it act overnight and then wash it with warm water in the morning.
Here are three beauty masks you can make with the combination of honey and other ingredients.
Honey and Strawberry Mask
You can use honey along with strawberries, which are rich in anti-oxidants as well as Vitamin C. Make a paste with 2 tsps of honey and mashed pulp of 2-3 strawberries. First, clean your face to remove any dirt. Then, apply this paste on a dry face over the acne. After it has acted for 20-25 minutes, clean it warm water. After that, use a good moisturizer for further hydration. This mask can be used twice a week till the acne subsides.
Honey and Oatmeal Mask
Oatmeal helps in exfoliation, along with honey. So, mix half a cup of oatmeal, two tsps of honey and 1/4th cup of warm water. Blend everything into a smooth paste and then apply it over the acne area. Massage this area gently for about 3 minutes and then leave the mask on for another 15 minutes. You can rinse it off with warm water to get the best results.
Honey with Lemon and Yoghurt
This remedy uses the citric acid of lemon and the soft texture of yoghurt to purify the skin and keep it supple. Mix 2 tbsps of honey, a tsp of fresh lemon juice and 1 tbsp of yoghurt. You can dilute this paste by adding a little warm water and a bit of milk for enhanced cleansing. This mask can be applied over the whole face or just over the affected skin. Let it stay for 10 minutes and wash with warm water thereafter. Make a fresh mask and use it every day if it suits you well.
Try to go ‘natural’ with honey as a well proven remedy for acne. Though the results are often not ‘instant’, but it is definitely going to treat the acne if used regularly. Besides, you will love the add-on benefits like a well toned, glowing and softer looking skin all owing to your sweet efforts.
Also read: 16 Anti aging foods to help you look younger
Pin this image to your board