Table of Contents
Congratulations! Why? Because you have made up your mind to quit smoking. I am sure it was not an easy decision, right? According to the American Cancer Society, it is a very difficult task to let go off smoking since nicotine is almost equivalent to heroin or cocaine in terms of addiction. So, now that you have already taken the first step, you would be looking for ways to get rid of this habit.
Try the following methods to stop smoking and lead a tobacco-free life. And yes, a strong will power and self-determination is important too.
By now, you must be very well aware of the typical periods of the day when you get the cravings for smoking. You have to observe and analyse what exactly happens which leads you to reach out for a cigarette. Then think about ways to divert your mind or ways in which you can avoid such triggers. The next time when you are in a similar situation, simply look away from the pack of cigarettes and engage yourself in any of those activities which take your mind away from smoking.
- The most common triggers are physical and/or mental stress, too much work pressure, driving, especially through traffic jams, after meals and sex.
- You can identify your own sources that trigger the urge to smoke.
- Avoid them by making yourself busy in some other activities.
- Think about chewing gum, talk to your friend on the phone, play your favourite mobile game or go for a walk instead.
Don’t succumb to cravings
When you are in the process of quitting smoking, cravings should be anticipated as your body is in a state of withdrawal and it won’t easily let go off an addictive habit easily. But the key point is to drive them away. Cravings don’t last long, hardly 5-10 minutes. It is only this time period that you have to pass successfully.
- Read the newspaper or an interesting article on your favourite subject at that time.
- Play with your kids or pets. Drink a glass of water or juice to satiate you.
- Listen to your favourite music.
- Don’t surrender under social pressure in parties or with friends just for the sake of style.
- Do anything that drifts your mind away.
Don’t buy cigarette cartons, calculate your savings
The next time when you are buying your grocery, avoid the cigarette section in the store. If you are used to buy the whole weekly or monthly stock, which most women do, avoid that. Try not to keep any cigarettes in hand. When you are in the weaning mode, cut down your number of cigarettes per day and buy a single or two when you are unable to hold the urge any more. Calculate the amount of money that you save everyday and maybe you can even collect it in a jar at home. At the end of the month, you can buy a much wanted piece of imported jewellery or an extra pair of shoes from that money! That will be your reward!
Document the positives
List out in writing what good things will happen if you quit. When you get that craving, quickly glance through this list and it is bound to motivate you a little longer.
- If you are a mother or a mom-to-be, smoking would be injurious to your kids. They will suffer from the disadvantages of passive smokers. Your famiy and your body would love it if you quit smoking.
- It will also lower your risk for hypertension and diabetes.
- It will leave your teeth less nicotine stained.
- It will make your skin and nails glow. Y
- our arteries and lungs are going to thank you a ton for leaving out the smoke.
- What more, you can have pink sexy luscious lips to sedate your partner after leaving the nicotine. How about that?
Also Read: 10 ways to get rid of Bad Breath
Try Nicotine Replacement Therapy
In case you are still unable to quit smoking, you may want to consult your doctor. He can recommend nicotine replacement medicines after examining your health.
Nicotine Replacement Therapy, helps the smokers to manage their withdrawal symptoms by providing a source of nicotine that are safer and healthier than cigarettes. According to a research NRT’s increase the rate of quitting by 50 to 70%.
Such medicines (NRT’s) are available the form of gum, lozenges, patches and inhalers and often aim at reducing the chemical changes in brain, which usually cause cravings. Generally, other than inhalers, you can get most of these without a prescription too. They double your chance of quitting smoking actually.
These can be directly applied on the skin. These patches provide a continuous level of drug in the body. They usually come in various strengths.
Nicotine patches can be applied on a hairless area of the skin. See to it that you do not apply it on broken or irritable skin. After applying the patch wash your hands properly. Also if the patch becomes loose then replace it with other patch. You can wear the patch for 16-24 hours.
You can chew the gum and then place it between your gums and cheek. The nicotine is then absorbed by the mucous membrane in the mouth. Nicotine gums are used for the first three months after you quit smoking.
They are like candies which melt in your tongue and delivers nicotine.
Quit when you are in a good mood and life is a bit easy, as stress acts as the biggest trigger. Don’t hesitate to ask for help from family members or close friends. You can talk about your cravings, failures and desire to quit forever. Set a quit date and stay firm. But, be prepared for relapses. Start again if that happens. As a woman, you have a much stronger sense of self control than most of your male counterparts. You have the power to overcome challenges. Prove it this time by quitting smoking and rewarding yourself with a happier and healthier life.
Pin this image to your board.