Tomato chutney comes together in a few minutes and yet it tastes delicious. It is tangy, spicy and sweet and hence goes well with any meal. It adds taste and variety to even the most simple of the food combinations and is a valuable recipe to have in one's menu.
- 2 Red Tomatoes (finely chopped or grated)
- 2 tablespoons Onion Slices (finely chopped)
- 2 Green Chillies (chopped)
- 5 Garlic Cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Ketchup or Sugar
- 1 pinch Hing
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Coriander Leaves (chopped finely)
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ½ to 1 cup Water Use as needed
Take the oil in a thick bottom pan and heat on low heat.
Add the garlic cloves and let them change color slightly.
Add the onion and cook until translucent.
Put in the grated tomatoes and the green chillies.
Cover with a lid and cook till the tomatoes turn soft and look well fried.
Once in a while stir the mixture so that it does not stick to the pan.
Season with the salt, hing, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, coriander powder, cumin seeds powder and the tomato ketchup/sugar.
Add about ½ to 1 cup of water and simmer to the consistency desired.
Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Serve with the main meal as it goes well with dal, rice, roti etc